Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Listening to One New Album Per Day

I've started trying to listen to one new album a day. I can think of at least a few reasons to do this. One, no reason at all, just seems like a worthwhile thing to do. Two, I listen to too much talk radio. I do this partly because I do enjoy it, but partly because I don't have as much new "go-to" music anymore. My go-to music has all gotten old, and I need to force myself to add more. Three, albums deserve to get played whole sometimes [rather than having their songs spread out through playlists or chosen randomly (the ways I tend to listen to music)]. Four, this will force me to seek out and download some albums, after I work through the handful or so I've gotten lately. Five, it allows me to have a dedicated listen rather than just playing something as background music.

Yesterday I listened to the Smut Peddlers' Born Again (2001). Right now I've got Macklemore and Ryan Lewis The Vs. EP (2009). The Smut Peddlers (Mr. Eon and Mighty Mi) rank among the best of the upper underground, and go well with Ill Bill and Necro, in my opinion. Check out the video for Bottom Feeders, which is pretty hardcore. The Macklemore and Ryan Lewis stuff came up on my Pandora, and I love it -- great sample driven, hip-hop fusion! Definitely check them out. Lined up next I have Swedish reggae duo Serengeti's 2010 album Standing Steady...

No comments:

Post a Comment