Thursday, May 30, 2013

Amazing Quotation from Screamin' Jay Hawkins

Screaming Jay Hawkins.jpg
Screamin' Jay Hawkins
So, I just downloaded Creedence Clearwater Revival's greatest hits, which led me to wonder who wrote the song "I Put a Spell on You," which they covered in 1968. I always think of it is a Nina Simone song, so I wondered if she had written it or not. The wikipedia page for the song itself has this mindblowing quote from the composer, Screamin' Jay Hawkins: "Hawkins had originally intended to record 'I Put a Spell on You' as a refined love song, a blues ballad. He reported, however, that the producer 'brought in ribs and chicken and got everybody drunk, and we came out with this weird version.[4] I don't even remember making the record. Before, I was just a normal blues singer. I was just Jay Hawkins. It all sort of just fell in place. I found out I could do more destroying a song and screaming it to death.'" A-mazing. Keep on destroying, 'em, Jay. YOU MUST WATCH THIS AMAZING VIDEO:


No comments:

Post a Comment